NATIONAL MUSEUM IN GDAŃSK
The National Museum in Gdańsk is among the oldest museums in Poland. It was established by the merger of two institutions: the City Museum (est. 1870) and the Handicraft Museum (est. 1881). The core of the Museum’s collection is the collection of Jacob Kabrun (1759–1814), comprising several thousand pictures, drawings and prints by European masters from the end of the fifteenth to the beginning of the nineteenth centuries. The National Museum in Gdańsk, whose main building—a late Gothic post-Franciscan monastery—houses the Museum’s Department of Historical Art, has 5 further departments seated in historical buildings. The Abbots’ Palace in Gdańsk-Oliwa houses the Department of Modern Art, while the Department of Ethnography is at the Abbot’s Granary. The Green Gate in the Long Market is where temporary exhibitions are held. The National Anthem Museum is housed in a manor in Będomin near Kościerzyna, which once belonged to the anthem’s author Józef Wybicki, while the Polish Gentry Museum is in a historic manor in Waplewo Wielkie which once belonged to the Sierakowski family. The Gdańsk Photography Gallery in
Gdańsk’s Main Town displays a rich collection of photographs. The Gallery is part of the Department of Modern Art, although it has its own seat in Gdańsk’s Main Town. The National Museum in Gdańsk has a staff of 150 persons.
ul. Toruńska 1
tel. 48 58 301 70 61