The Museum of Sopot
The Museum of Sopot was founded in February 2001. An eclectic period villa, situated in a garden next to Sopot beach, was chosen as the seat of the newly-created institution. It had been built in 1903-1904 for the family of the Gdańsk merchant and entrepreneur Ernst August Claaszen (1853-1924). It was conceived by its first owner and designed in accordance with the plans of the Sopot architect Walter Schulz. It constitutes the genius loci of Sopot, a town which was granted urban rights in 1901 but whose history reaches back many centuries: from a medieval stronghold and fishing village built on marshland, through the area of the residences of wealthy patricians and aristocrats, to a resort of Europe-wide fame. The villa, built at the beginning of the 20th century, offers a view into the culture and history of bygone times and also constitutes a space for reflection on the contemporary character of the town. The Museum of Sopot organises exhibitions, social and educational projects and houses collections dedicated to the culture and history of the town. The mission of the Museum is to accumulate and popularise knowledge on the subject of Sopot through the building of a living relation with the inhabitants and to conduct scientific and research activity.
Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego 8
+48 (58) 551 22 66